Thursday, 13 August 2026

References

Our parallel rereadings of four works set on Jupiter has carried us to some strange places. First, the four works in question are:

a non-series story by Poul Anderson;

one of the two opening instalments of James Blish's Cities In Flight;

an instalment of Clifford Simak's City;

ERB's last John Carter story.

Secondly, however, we have also referred to:

the opening story of Anderson's Technic History;

the closing story of his Psychotechnic History;

the opening and closing stories of Blish's The Seedling Stars;

CS Lewis' "Forms of Things Unknown";

SM Stirling's Lords Of Creation Trilogy;

ERB's The Land That Time Forgot;

Anderson's The Devil's Game, Murder Bound and Mirkheim.

I think that that is the full list. In any case, it is all that I have time for tonight. Tomorrow, gym.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kaor, Paul!

No, it's the alleged closing story of the Psychotechnic series.

Ad astra! Sean

paulshackley2017@gmail.com said...

OK.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

I still believe "The Chapter Ends" to be a non-series, stand alone, one off story.

Ad astra! Sean

S.M. Stirling said...

Sean: It does have indications that that is what it is. OTOH, it's set so far in the future that that may be meaningless.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Mr. Stirling!

I remember those "indications"--but "Chapter" is one of those early stories by Anderson sharing characteristics with other, un-Psychotechnic stories. Enough so I am not convinced it belongs in the same timeline as, say, "Marius."

Alas, as Anderson himself told me in one of his letters to me, he was not in the habit of keeping the mss. of stories he had completed and published. Any original ms. of "Chapter" might have included notes indicating whether or not it was a non-series story.

I now believe Sandra Miesel inserted "Chapter" into the Psychotechnic series at least partly to get it republished. Or did Anderson tell her he at least accepted the story as Psychotechnic?

Ad astra! Sean

paulshackley2017@gmail.com said...

Which characteristics shared with non-series stories?