Friday 19 July 2024

Beer And Tea

In Poul Anderson's Satan's World, Adzel and Chee Lan break innumerable laws when they rescue David Falkayn from Serendipity Inc.'s Lunar mountain castle. However, Adzel obtains evidence that Serendipity had brainscrubbed Falkayn. Releasing that single fact would sink Serendipity. It is in everyone's interests that everything is kept quiet. Nicholas van Rijn negotiates with the Serendipity partners privately. He is on their territory but in control of the interview from the kick-off:

"'We did not invite you to smoke,' Anastasia Herrera said frigidly.
"'Oh, that's alright, don't apologize, I know you got a lot on your minds.' Van Rijn lit the cigar, leaned back, crossed his leg, and exhaled a blue cloud." (IX, p. 87)

When everyone present has at last accepted that an accommodation must be made:

"'Good, good!' van Rijn beamed. He rubbed his hands. 'How glad I am for common sense and friendliness. I tell you what plans we make together.' He looked around. 'Only I'm terribly thirsty. How about you send out for a few bottles beer.'" (p. 91)

This reminds me of a trade union steward that I knew who was on a serious disciplinary charge - of which he was eventually completely exonerated. Reporting back to his comrades, including me, after one disciplinary hearing, he said, "Then, after the break - and there was a break because I insisted on one for me tea break..."

Always with a touch of humour!

1 comment:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

It helps a lot not only to be in the right but also to be as wily and self confident as Old Nick and that union official!

Ad astra! Sean