Sunday 28 July 2024

Basic Problems With Time Travel II

It is difficult to clarify the issues in the middle of a complicated argument but maybe we can work toward some degree of clarity afterwards.

Imagine that there is either a Wellsian Time Machine or a Time Patrol timecycle in the opposite corner of the room where I am sitting now. Five minutes from now, I will cross the room, sit on the vehicle and set off on a journey thirty years into the past. I will now stop writing in the future tense. Thirty years minus five minutes ago, I arrived/appeared. If my vehicle is a Time Machine, then I appeared in this room which did exist thirty years ago. If my vehicle is a timecycle, then I appeared either in this room or elsewhere. In either case, having arrived, I performed some simple action which had an effect then. Maybe I spoke and was heard by someone in earshot. Stop the example there. That is quite enough for us to deal with at one go!

Whatever my action and whatever its consequence, that consequence has already happened thirty years minus five minutes ago. The past tense statement in the immediately preceding sentence is true now while I am sitting here five minutes before walking across the room to mount the temporal vehicle and set off into the past. The consequence of my past action is not waiting to come into effect five minutes from now when I depart into the past. But sometimes people do think that events happen in that order. They think that, five minutes from now and not before, it will then become true that I spoke and was heard thirty years minus five minutes ago. 

Conceptual confusion reigns.

1 comment:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

It's so easy to get confused and muddleheaded trying to make sense of time travel.

Rather like King Hezekiah's sundial and the Prophet Isaiah!

Ad astra! Sean