Tuesday 5 May 2020

The Complete Psychotechnic History

To read Poul Anderson's Psychotechnic History in its entirety, you need:

The Complete Psychotechnic League, Volumes 1-3;

Virgin Planet;

The Peregrine, which should revert to its original title of Star Ways.

An ideal future edition would comprise The Psychotechnic History, Volumes I-II, each volume to collect eleven works, covering the STL and FTL periods, respectively.

This is on my mind because my 1966 paperback copy of Virgin Planet (see image) is falling apart and will be replaced. I hope to publish an image of the cover of its replacement.

This has also happened to my Time Patrol, The Shield Of Time and The Technic Civilization Saga: Rise Of The Terran Empire. Paperbacks are not made to withstand the amount of rereading that I give to Poul Anderson's most important works. Fortunately, they remain available second hand.

1 comment:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

I know what you mean about how paperbacks can fall apart! What I often do is scotch tape the spines of soft covers, to strengthen them and prolong usability.

Maybe you could buy a copy of the 1959 hard cover Avalon Books edition? I think you could find a decent quality copy at not too high a price.

Best of all would be a COMPLETE COLLECTED WORKS OF POUL ANDERSON printed on high quality paper in volumes with sturdy bindings. If that was done for the works of Robert Heinlein and Jack Vance, why not Anderson as well?

Ad astra! Sean