Monday 11 May 2020

Some Personal Parallels

Never forget when a work of fiction was written or what else was happening in the world at the same time. Although a fictional narrative presents an alternative reality, its writing is embedded in our reality.

Poul Anderson's Psychotechnic History was published from 1949 to 1968, from a few years after World War II to the year before the first Moon landing. I was born in 1949 and, in 1968, finished first year and started second year at University. I did not suspect that Anderson's first future history series was being published in that period.

Anderson's Technic History was published from 1951 to 1985, from the beginning of the '50s to a few years before the fall of the Soviet Union. I was two years old in 1951 and a part time school teacher in the 1980s. I had not yet learned to appreciate Anderson's future histories as they deserved although I had always valued his Time Patrol.

5 comments:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

what I noticed was how 1949 began on a Saturday and ended on another Saturday. And was a leap year!

Ad astra! Sean

paulshackley2017@gmail.com said...

Not a leap year...

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

Oops! You are right! I forgot February in leap years have 29, not 28 days!!! That was a dumb mistake I made. (Smiles)

Ad astra! Sean

paulshackley2017@gmail.com said...

Sean,

And a leap year has to divisible by 4, therefore even.

Paul.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

Which is why THIS year is a leap year! I'm reminded of Tolkien's detailed discussion of the Numenorean and Hobbit calendars in the Appendices to THE LORD OF THE RINGS. And I've even wondered if one of them could be adopted by us in the real world.

Ad astra! Sean