Monday 11 May 2020

An Appropriate Biblical Quotation

"The Pirate."

Exploring a city on a planet whose population has been killed by supernova radiation, Trevelyan recites aloud:

"'The Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away...'" (p. 157)

This is the kind of passage that we (a) recognize, (b) recognize as Biblical and (c) probably do not know the source for. Now we know: Job 1:21.

However, Trevelyan continues:

"...I will not bless the name of the Lord. But I will remember. Oh, yes, I will remember.'" (ibid.)

Where does this come from?

The post on the Bible in Anderson remains to be completed.

1 comment:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

Yes, Anderson was very unusual among SF writers in how often he quoted from or alluded to the Bible. He thought of himself as being agnostic, but he certainly took religion, esp. Judaism and Christianity, seriously. He also seems to have had the most respect or sympathy for the Catholic Church. It's also my belief that in some of his later works indications can be found making me think Anderson at least wished he believed in God.

Anderson quoted so often from the Bible thru out so many of his works, fiction or non fiction, that my attempt at discussing his use of the Scriptures is the least satisfactory of my guest articles here.

Ad astra! Sean

Ad astra! Sean