Monday 11 May 2020

1940 And The 1960s

Also published in 1940 (see previous post) was Robert Heinlein's The Devil Makes the Law (Magic, Inc.), which inspired the first three stories in Poul Anderson's Operation Chaos and a later work by Harry Turtledove. Events in the 1960s inspired the fourth story in Operation Chaos. I do not share Anderson's negative view of that period, stated in his Introduction.

Thus, great things began in 1939-'40:

the Future History, which inspired the Psychotechnic History;

Magic, Inc., which inspired Operation Chaos.

The Psychotechnic and Technic Histories are sf and are each set in a different single timeline whereas the following six works:

Three Hearts And Three Lions
Operation Chaos
Operation Luna
A Midsummer Tempest
"House Rule"
"Losers' Night"

- are fantasies involving multiple timelines and "House Rule" connects with the Technic History.

I will now return to rereading Mike Carey's Lucifer which got me back into thinking about Operation Chaos. There should be more about the Psychotechnic History tomorrow.

7 comments:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

I think the Turtledove story you had in mind was his novel THE TOXIC SPELL DUMP? A book mixing both humor and fantasy.

And if I am recalling correctly what Anderson thought of those events in the 1960's, I have to agree with him and not you. I have less than ZERO use for many of the most "revered" heroes of the left from that dismal time.

Ad astra! Sean

paulshackley2017@gmail.com said...

Sean,

I didn't know the Turtledove title. In his Introduction, Anderson refers to a work by that author without naming it.

Paul.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

I checked, and neither the 1971 Doubleday edition of OPERATION CHAOS or the 1999 Tor Books version of OPERATION LUNA has an introduction mentioning Harry Turtledove. You must have a later edition of OPERATION CHAOS with an introduction by Anderson.

And I erred, the Turtledove book I was thinking of is called THE C CASE OF THE TOXIC SPELL DUMP. I omitted "CASE" in my first comment here.

Ad astra! Sean

paulshackley2017@gmail.com said...

Sean,

My edition is SEVERN HOUSE, 1995.

Paul.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

Noted! It might be worthwhile to get a copy of the 1995 Severn House edition of OPERATION CHAOS for Anderson's introduction. Something to think about.

Ad astra! Sean

S.M. Stirling said...

Incidentally, in OPERATION LUNA one of the characters mentions THE CASE OF THE TOXIC SPELL DUMP as... a realistic mystery novel they're reading. IIRC.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Mr. Stirling!

THAT's it! I simply KNEW I saw mention of the title of that book by Turtledove SOMEWHERE in Anderson's works. I simply couldn't quite recall where. Thanks!

Ad astra! Sean