Thursday 15 September 2022

An Art, A Sport

 

I thought that Aycharaych had maligned Dominic Flandry when he said:

"'I've used you ill, as I've used many. It was from no will of mine. Oh, true, an art, a sport - yours too...'"
-Poul Anderson, A Knight Of Ghosts And Shadows IN Anderson, Sir Dominic Flandry: The Last Knight Of Terra (Riverdale, NY, June 2012), pp. 339-606 AT XX, p. 600.

Did Flandry regard his deadly profession as a sport? Well, yes. He said:

"'...it's an amusing game that the empires underwrite for us, no?'"

- and:

"Was that always my real desire? Not to chase down enemies of the Empire so I could go on having fun in it, but to have fun chasing them down?
"No matter."
-A Knight Of Ghosts And Shadows, III, p. 382.

It matters.

2 comments:

S.M. Stirling said...

The difference is that Flandry doesn't regard his work as -just- a game. It's a game, he enjoys it, but he's also holding off Chaos and Old Night.

I've known soldiers with pretty much the same attitude.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Mr. Stirling!

Exactly! For all his cynicism Flandry retained some wistful ideals and loyalties.

Ad astra! Sean