Monday 31 January 2022

Three Just Men

Mark Danzig
"'...we want to get home when we're finished here. We should be in time for the Bar-Mitzvah of a great-grandson or two.'"
-Poul Anderson, "The Saturn Game" IN Anderson, The Van Rijn Method (Riverdale, NY, 2009), pp. 1-73 AT I, p. 5.
 
"Once, most softly, he had offered Kaddish." (IV, p. 56)
 
Martin Schuster
He has sent David Falkayn into danger:
 
"'Oh, God. I sent him there...I should have gone myself...He was my apprentice.'"
-Poul Anderson, "The Three-Cornered" IN The Van Rijn Method, pp. 199-261 AT VI, p. 247.

When it is pointed out to him that it is impossible to upset a religion in an afternoon:

"'Oh, sure. I know that...The goyim have been working on mine for two or three thousand years and got nowhere.'" (p. 256)

Max Abrams
"Where had young Flandry been from, and what memories did he carry to darkness?
"On a sudden impulse Abrams put down his cigar, bent his head, and inwardly recited the Kaddish."
-Poul Anderson, Ensign Flandry IN Anderson, Young Flandry (Riverdale, NY, 2010), pp. 1-192 AT CHAPTER TWO, p. 18.

I could have called this post "Three Jewish Men" but I thought that blog readers would prefer to find out for themselves.

1 comment:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

Dang! I may have read "The Saturn Game" two or three times and somehow the fact of Mark Danzig being a Jew did not stick in my memory. Unlike Martin Schuster and Max Abrams.

Ad astra! Sean