Sunday 16 January 2022

Alternative Theologies

If history had unfolded differently, then religious traditions and practices would be different. Probably, there would be some kind of polytheisms, monotheisms and yogic/meditative practices. A Jewish man in a Manchester synagogue told a group of student teachers, including myself, that a Christian or a Muslim could attend synagogue worship and not hear anything to disagree with. Unsatisfying: no reference to Jesus; no reading from the Koran... (This guy impressed us with his grasp pf the essences of the different traditions.) He could have added Sikh (no reading from the Granth...) or theistic Hindu (no reading from the Veda...)

If any of us were transported into a parallel universe/alternative history, then we would probably continue to practice there whatever we have been accustomed to practice here. Monotheists would continue to pray. If I were on Avalon or anywhere else in Poul Anderson's multiverse, then I would continue to practice zazen. (For what it is worth, Part II of my Draft Talk on Zazen is now here.)

Poul Anderson imagines not only alternative histories but also alternative cosmologies where different pantheons literally exist. If I found that I was in a world where Odin was wandering around in the world of men and Thor was passing in thunder overhead, then I would have to acknowledge their existence in some way while continuing to meditate.

1 comment:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

Your first paragraph: Yes, this Jewish gentleman's argument was unsatisfactory, it's not enough to point to the similarities many religions might have, you also have to acknowledge their differences and disagreements.

I thought of Anderson's THREE HEARTS AND THREE LIONS, A MIDSUMMER TEMPEST, and the two OPERATION books as examples of his alternate world speculations. Since I believe in the literal truth of Catholic Christianity, I would have remained a Catholic in all of them.

And I certainly don't believe Odin and Thor existed, even if Anderson used that idea in some of his works, such as THE BROKEN SWORD and HROLF KRAKI'S SAGA. I recall one character in the former expressing puzzlement to the troll king over how Odin could exist along with Christ.

Ad astra! Sean