Thursday 27 January 2022

In The CHRONOS

I like the two passages in "The Saturn Game" that are flashbacks to life in the Chronos. In the first, Delia Ames walks out on Colin Scobie because he angrily refuses to phase out of the game. Years ago at an sf con, we heard of a fan who had attended an earlier con without his wife. When asked where she was, he replied, "She told me that I had to choose between her and fandom so here I am..."

In the second flashback, Kendrick and Ricia, the characters played by Scobie and Jean Broberg, become lovers although nothing like that happens between Scobie and Broberg. Does this sound as if it might become difficult?

Also relevant:

Ames thinks that Scobie is attracted to Broberg;
Scobie thinks that Broberg is attractive;
Broberg is married.
 
Here are complicated relationships between characters appearing only in this single story.

1 comment:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

And this reminded me of Pournell/Niven/Flynn's FALLEN ANGELS. I saw a lot about SF fandom in that novel, enough to make it understandable why that fan you mentioned chose fandom over his wife (extreme tho that was!).

Ad astra! Sean