Sunday 17 May 2020

The Bible And A Tract

Operation Chaos, XXI.

This time, instead of quoting the Bible, Poul Anderson gives us two references. Johannine placards display:

"ST. JOHN 13:34... 1 JOHN 2:9-11..." (p. 143)

- which turn out to be:

34 “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.
-copied from here

- and:

Anyone who claims to be in the light but hates a brother or sister[a] is still in the darkness. 10 Anyone who loves their brother and sister[b] lives in the light, and there is nothing in them to make them stumble. 11 But anyone who hates a brother or sister is in the darkness and walks around in the darkness. They do not know where they are going, because the darkness has blinded them.
-copied from here

- whereas others say:

"LOVE THY NEIGHBOR..." (ibid.)
-see here.

Anderson says in the Introduction that he "...didn't issue a political tract..." (facing p. 1) but XXI, pp. 144-145 are certainly that! (It is alright once in a while.) 

5 comments:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

But Anderson was fictitously quoting Johannine misuses of the Scriptures in placards or tracts he would disagree with. Unless you were referring to something on page 144 of your edition of OPERATION CHAOS I'm not sure I'm recalling correctly.

Ad astra! Sean

paulshackley2017@gmail.com said...

Sean,

I am referring to Anderson's text from "Don't misunderstand me." (p. 144) to "...to bring the whole shebang down around their ears." (p. 145)

And my only point at this stage is that this passage is surely a "political tract." I am leaving aside for the moment the question of whether we should agree with it.

Paul.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

Now I remember the text you have in mind. And I do agree with what Matuchek said there. And I think Anderson did as well.

Ad astra! Sean

paulshackley2017@gmail.com said...

Sean,

Yes, you agree with it but my only point here is that it does count as a political tract.

Paul.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

Understood, and I have to agree. Altho a mere one page seems short for a tract!

Ad astra! Sean