Tuesday 29 June 2021

Night On Aerie

Starfarers, 17.

"The evening star glowed in western heaven. The rings were a banded blend of pallid hues, around them the true stars and beyond those the galactic belt, as chill as the airs that sent mists aswirl about our ankles. Afar, some animal howled."  (p. 135)

We note that:

Aerie has an evening star, like Earth and some other Andersonian planets;

like the colonized planet, Altai, in the Technic History, it has rings;

"the galactic belt" is yet another description of the Milky Way;

the howling animal fits the mood at this point in the narrative;

the description appeals to three senses, colors, chill and howling.

3 comments:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

Now I'm wondering if I should reread STARFARERS after I finish THE BOAT OF A MILLION YEARS? Even tho that would delay, yet again, going back to A KNIGHT OF GHOSTS AND SHADOWS.

Ad astra! Sean

paulshackley2017@gmail.com said...

Sean,

I think that, for me, STARFARERS is too recent to reread in its entirety but I was tracking down the theme of Kith.

Paul.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

I understand. But I think it's been several years, at least, since I reread STARFARERS. So I might do that book next.

Ad astra! Sean