Saturday 2 May 2020

Sky, Stars And Song

Trevelyan and the Nomads escape from an Alori planet:

"...they were headed skyward. Skyward, outward, starward - the words were a song within him."
-The Peregrine, CHAPTER XX, p. 181.

And within us. How much other sf does this recall?

Rhysling, the Blind Singer of the Spaceways;
Heinlein's Juveniles, Time For The Stars and Starman Jones;
James Blish's They Shall Have Stars and A Life For The Stars.

If I remember right, then I imagined a film with a title song, The Green Fields Of Earth, before I saw a copy of Heinlein's The Green Hills Of Earth but I cannot be sure of this, of course. Either way, these images have been in our memories since early childhood.

1 comment:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

And of course the many metaphors we see in Anderson's stories describing the Milky Way Galaxy. Or Holger Carlsen thinking of Carl's Wain, "Even heaven remembers you, my Emperor."

Ad astra! Sean