Thursday 2 August 2018

Pandorans

Pandoran life is four-limbed and tri-optic. When the dominant species left the dying planet, primitive animals with beaks and dorsal fins continued to adapt to the changing environment. Some became bipedal savages with crossbows, knives and tomahawks, who kill the Betan, Fidelio. Thus, intelligence evolved twice and the original species still visits although not while Chinook is there.

The Chinook crew continues to search through space for a species that has contact with the Others. The Avatar could have been a series.

4 comments:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

Very interesting. I'm more and more glad your comments on this blog made me decide to reread THE AVATAR.

Sean

paulshackley2017@gmail.com said...

Sean,
Please look out for references to Descartes and give me chapter numbers.
Paul.

S.M. Stirling said...

Caitlin isn't the strongest part of the book, IMHO, but the strange worlds are wonderful.

(My own take is that monogamy is the healthiest way to structure relationships, especially for adults.)

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul and Mr. Stirling!

Paul: I will, I'm still only at Chapter VII or VIII, so I doubt I came across any mentions of Descartes yet.

Mr. Stirling: I still remember how I thought Caitlin was a very unsatisfactory character in THE AVATAR when I first read the book in 1978. And while I now think better of the book as a whole, I still think Caitlin to be its weakest part.

Sean