Tuesday 28 August 2018

Rain And Words

Poul Anderson, World Without Stars, IX-X.

Not only wind but also rain can punctuate the dialogues in Poul Anderson's texts:

"We faced each other, he and I, while the rain came down louder." (IX, p. 61)

"'They may mean well in spite of their manners,' Bren said.
"'Sure,' I said. 'They may.' The rain gurgled as it fell onto soaked earth." (p. 62)

Unfamiliar (to me) words continue:

"...lyophilized food..." (ibid.)

The "knurls" of Argens' gun comfort him. (X, p. 65)

I find the following phrase somewhat obscure:

"Even with goggles, we saw only the galaxy and its wave-splintered glade..." (ibid.) (My emphasis.)

1 comment:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

Instead of "lyophilized food," most people would have called it "freeze dried." But "lyophilize" was more futuristic seeming.

Yes, the sentence you quoted does seem obscure. It might have something to do with a rarely used meaning for "glade."

Sean