Sunday 26 August 2018

Information-Gathering

Poul Anderson, World Without Stars, VI.

Stranded on an extragalactic planet, Captain Argens wants two of his men to find precise values for:

gravity;
air pressure;
humidity;
magnetism;
ionization;
horizon distance;
rotation period;
solar spectrum lines;
whatever can be found with instruments from the ship.

Information-gathering is just as urgent as building a stockade because:

"'The sooner we know what kind of place we're in, the sooner we can lay plans that make sense.'" (p. 38)

He is right. I would not have thought of any of that but I am neither a scientist nor a spaceship captain.

We have reached only p. 38 of a text that that starts on p. 5 and that I began to reread from p. 7 but look how much ground - and space - we have covered already.

1 comment:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

I hope I would have thought of some of the items you listed in a similar situation, but I doubt I would have. Unless, of course, I had been myself a trained and experienced space captain. And the list you gave us here are characteristic of most good hard science fiction.

Sean