Saturday 23 November 2019

Shadows Of Annihilation, Chapter Five, And Food

SM Stirling, Shadows Of Annihilation, FIVE, Advance Reading Copy.

Although this chapter presents much of interest, the present post focuses on a single detail. Often, we vicariously enjoy meals eaten by fictional characters. See The Food Thread. Occasionally, when SM Stirling's characters are hungry, they fantasize about food. For us, the readers, the effect is the same. Whether the characters really eat or just imagine eating, we read an account of food. Both Horst and Rohm do this here, mixing German and English words like "'...Thuringer Rostbratwurst...'" and "'...a heap of fried potatoes.'" (p. 107) Preferring the potatoes, I found an image of them.

Usually, I laboriously list each dish referred to but would that count as a "spoiler" in this case?

Today we attended the annual Green Fair where the menu was Vegan so I was unable to eat cheese with my baked potato.

Addendum: Chapter SIX begins with a lovingly described breakfast. Shortly, we will depart to a party where I look forward to eating a lot.

7 comments:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

An interesting question, would a detailed description of a meal in SHADOWS OF ANNIHILATION count as a spoiler revealing too much about the plot? I'm not sure!

I am surprised you don't eat cheese.

Ad astra!

paulshackley2017@gmail.com said...

Sean,
I do eat cheese but I couldn't when the menu was Vegan.
Paul.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

Understood, I think.

Ad astra! Sean

paulshackley2017@gmail.com said...

Vegetarian means no meat. Vegan means no dairy products. So I had a potato with beans but no cheese or eggs.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

That resolves my puzzlement! To me, as per Christ's words in Mark 7, all foods are kosher.

Ad astra! Sean

paulshackley2017@gmail.com said...

Sean,
I am mentally drafting my next post on SHADOWS OF ANNIHILATION but fortunately (from my point of view) I must shortly drive one friend around Morecambe Bay to meet another friend for an enjoyable evening meal before returning all the way home. Back late and busy elsewhere in the morning.
Paul.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

And I'm glad you have such a busy life. Have fun!

Almost done rereading Julian May's THE ADVERSARY. Not sure what SF book to read next. Either her book SURVEILLANCE or Anderson's historical novel ROGUE SWORD.

Ad astra! Sean