Monday 18 November 2019

Rogue Sword, Chapter VI: Historical Details

Rogue Sword.

When Michael Paleologus leaves Adrianople to attack the Catalans based in Gallipoli, they cross the Thracian hills to meet him, believing "'...that God and the blessed monsenyer (?) St. Peter and St. Paul and St. George...'" (p. 91) will give them victory. The Byzantines camp near "...the town of Imeri and the castle of Apros." (p. 92)

Because Lucas belongs neither with the heavy cavalry nor with the jinetes, En Jaime places him with the Almugavares who sound like the Bacaudae, outlaws turned soldiers.

One of the Almugavares is confident that the Catalan's fight in God's cause because "'Priest says so.'" (p. 94) After further naive conversation, Lucas thinks:

"Would God I were that easily satisfied..." (ibid.)

Years ago, an acquaintance told me that he regarded religion as a bad thing and I envied him his simplicity. Was I cursed with the knowledge of good and evil?

There is always more but that is an appropriate place to close for the evening.

(Thought for the day: Catalan nobility treated women badly. Maybe royalty can still do so but cannot so easily get away with it?)

6 comments:

David Birr said...

Paul:
I'm guessing "monsenyer" is how the Catalan language, at least back then, rendered the (Roman Catholic) clerical title "monsignor."

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul and DAVID!

Paul: I remember that conversation Lucas had with the Almugavar soldier. The naive, innocent ferocity of these Catalans reminded me as well of how Malcolm Lockridge regarded Brann in THE CORRIDORS OF TIME: that fierce Ranger leader had the innocence of a tiger in him.

Also, as regards how the Catalans treated women, I think you are missing what seems am obvious point: the brutality of the Grand Company's soldiers were to people they regarded as their ENEMIES, the Byzantines. I really doubt they would be so savage to their own people back home in Aragon.

David: I'm glad you are again able to leave comments in the comboxes. Feel free to argue with anything I might say! (Smiles)

Ad astra! Sean

paulshackley2017@gmail.com said...

Sean,
Violante, a widow, becomes the mistress of her husband's comrade, Cornel, who treats her badly.
Paul.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

I overlooked cases like that of Cornel!

Btw, En Jaime, who became something of a father figure to Lucas, had a more thoughtful faith that was not simple, naive, blind fanaticism.

Ad astra! Sean

paulshackley2017@gmail.com said...

Sean,
If you scroll back through some recent posts, you might find occasional comments by David.
Paul.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

I do scroll back thru the blog posts of the past few days, looking for comments. And I was glad to see David's comments.

Ad astra! Sean