Wednesday 27 November 2019

First Impressions

The first Dominic Flandry story that I read was "The Game of Glory," in a British reprint Venture Science Fiction magazine with a plain yellow cover - no cover illustration. However, I was already familiar with Poul Anderson so I do not remember which of his works I had read first.

The first work by Robert Heinlein that I read was Starman Jones. However, I read it in a large hardback omnibus volume of juvenile novels by different authors and did not notice any of the authors' names. I was somewhere between seven and eleven.

The first Heinlein work that I knowingly read was Orphans Of The Sky and I was very impressed with its unusual environment. I fondly imagined that this guy, Heinlein, would have written very few works, all short, unusual and equally good.

I had yet to learn that:

Orphans Of The Sky was part of the Future History;

Anderson had modeled a future history, his first, on the Future History;

Anderson's first future history also included a generation ship story;

there was a Dominic Flandry series;

that series was one section of Anderson's second future history;

Trader To The Stars, which I read not too long afterwards, was another part of that second Andersonian future history.

For a review of Clifford Simak's generation ship story, see here.

1 comment:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

And the first book ever of Poul Anderson's that I read was the 1965 Chilton Books edition of AGENT OF THE TERRAN EMPIRE. Which means the very first of Anderson's stories that I read was "Tiger By The Tail."

I cannot state definitely which of Robert Heinlein's stories I read first. It might have been either "And He Built A Crooked House" or "Waldo." While RAH did not move me as deeply as Anderson had done, I still bought and read many of his stories. And made a point of giving some to my father as birthday and Christmas gifts.

Ad astra! Sean