Wednesday 20 November 2019

New Characters From Old Legends

Imaginative writers sometimes transform already existing legendary or historical figures into entirely new dramatic or fictional characters as Shakespeare did with Lear, Hamlet and Macbeth.

Poul Anderson did this with the pagan prophetess, Veleda, in "Star of the Sea" and Poul and Karen Anderson also did it with King Gradlon in The King Of Ys. I find it instructive to compare the Wikipedia articles about these legendary protagonists with characters bearing their names and featuring in twentieth century works of fiction.

Later: First, we realize how much of a story was already there. Secondly, we appreciate the authors' abilities to create qualitatively new stories and, more importantly, characters from pre-existent materials.

5 comments:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

Frankly, I had never heard of Veleda or recalled reading about her before I read Anderson's "Star Of The Sea." But when I looked up the Wiki article I recalled seeing some of the things about her legend being incorporated into Anderson's story.

Ad astra! Sean

David Birr said...

Paul and Sean:
David Drake's first novel, Arthurian fantasy The Dragon Lord (1979), included a witch (with real, significant magical powers) who introduced herself to the main character as Veleda – and became his lover. His Germanic best friend, though, told her he recalled overhearing tales that women told only to each other, of a distant past when the mightiest of all priestesses was the Veleda. "How old are you, Veleda?" She didn't deny the accusation, but insisted she meant no harm to these two men.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, DAVID!

Thanks for these comments. Alas, I've never read this Drake book. Again, I'm reminded of how many gaps there are in my knowledge of SF and F!

Ad astra! Sean

S.M. Stirling said...

and Poul turned Shakespeare himself into the "Great Historian". (I did that to Tolkein).

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Mr. Stirling!

I think I know exactly who you mean! A young lady we first see in DIES THE FIRE who was such a passionate fan of JRR Tolkien that she treated him like a historian! (Smiles)

Ad astra! Sean