Monday 25 November 2019

Pancakes And Cars

SM Stirling, Shadows Of Annihilation, NINE.

The good food guide continues. I will let the attached image speak for itself. But would you eat sweet and meat courses together?

This novel covers the same period as Dornford Yates albeit in a different timeline. Thus, cars replaced horses. Therefore, in some cases, horse dealers became second hand car salesmen. Just over a hundred years ago...

Sf is about technological changes leading to social changes. In this volume, Stirling, through his characters, has already cited accurate predictions by HG Wells.

What will the world be like in 2117? We cannot know although there are plenty of speculative answers. We can also appreciate change by looking backward in historical fiction and in alternative history fiction.

2 comments:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

By and large I think I would prefer to eat pancakes alone, without any meat courses. And to go easy on the honey or maple syrup.

The two of us just MIGHT live long enough to see some of the advanced technological changes I hope will be common and standard by 2117. But it's also my belief that for that to happen we need to get OFF this rock in a real and meaningful way (see Robert Zubrin's book THE CASE FOR SPACE).

Onwards to the Moon, Mars, the asteroid belt, the STARS!!!

Ad astra! Sean

David Birr said...

Paul:
Many a time (in the old days, when I didn't need to worry so much about my weight) I've eaten sausages with my pancakes, letting the links soak in the syrup — so, my answer about sweets with meat is "Yes."