Tuesday 10 September 2019

Involvement In History

Poul Anderson's inter-cosmic inn, the Old Phoenix, presents an oblique perspective on all of history and literature because we can imagine any historical figures and/or literary characters meeting and interacting inside the inn - without impacting too much on their known careers, of course.

Anderson's Time Patrol presents a perspective on all of history because we can ask not only "What if any given historical event were changed?" (this question is asked by all alternative history fiction) but also:

Did Time Patrol agents have to work behind the scenes to ensure that certain events occurred on schedule?

Did Unattached agents of the Patrol have to "delete" alternative versions of these events?

Was there a concealed battle between Patrol agents and Neldorians or other time criminals? (All of the Exaltationists' extratemporal interventions are accounted for.)

It is rare that we are able to read about historical events that we ourselves were involved in. Anyone who is old enough is able to read histories of World War II and to remember what they themselves were doing at the time. This adds a personal perspective to the reading of history, historical fiction and time travel fiction. In the 1980s, I was involved in major trade disputes in Merseyside and have imagined those events being filmed. I might have been named once in a meeting or crowd scene. In fact, I was once mentioned without being named in a non-fiction work.

I have just received my copy of Bentham Grammar School: The Final Years, 1976-2012 by William Stockdale. Through no fault of his, Bill jumps straight from my leaving the school to activities that I did not engage in until over two decades later! I can read this as if it were an alternative history or like the changes made in the transference of fictional works from page to screen - in this case, from life to page. (There are interesting differences between the two screen dramatizations of Stieg Larsson's first novel. I have just watched the Hollywood version with Ketlan.)

I was employed part-time by the school in 1980 because my predecessor left due to the pressure of other work and was laid off in 1981 (partly) because of the school's then financial difficulties. A meddling time traveler who either delayed my predecessor's departure or hastened the financial problems would thereby have robbed me of the opportunities presented by that single career-changing academic year.

My point is that all of us have some relationship to history and can reflect on crucial incidents either in personal life or in the world at large.

Lastly, Andrea, one of the heroes of this blog, became a pupil at Bentham Grammar in the academic year after I was there. Thus, I was prevented from meeting him earlier and in different circumstances. Such is time.

1 comment:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

I think it's logical to assume there were times, thru out a million year, that Time Patrol agents had to work behind the scenes to make sure certain crucial events happened as and when they were recorded.

Yes, there were also times when Patrol agents "deleted" alternative versions of these events. Ditto for occasions when the Patrol had to engage in struggles with time criminals we don't know anything about.

And there was one time when I was mentioned and quoted in a non fiction book: ORPHEE AUX ETOILES, a French language study of Poul Anderson by Jean-Daniel Breque. He contacted me eight or nine years ago about my correspondence with Anderson. I gave him copies of my 24 letters to PA, along with his replies.

Aside from that, the most exciting thing to happen in my life was once defeating a National Chess Master at a club simul! (Smiles)

Ad astra! Sean