Saturday 21 September 2019

Fear And Counter-Fear

Poul Anderson, Murder In Black Letter, 14.


Yamamura and two companions question a man who is afraid to divulge what he knows about armed criminals. Stieg Larsson's Lisbeth Salander interrogates a man in exactly this situation. Lisbeth's technique is to make the man more afraid of him. He stands upright with a noose around his neck. If she paralyses him with a taser, then his muscles will relax...

I must read on to learn how Yamamura fares with his potential informant. Consecutive blog readers might deduce that I am not gripped by this Yamaura novel. However, any text written by Poul Anderson deserves our attention. I always appreciate his style and literary techniques and pursue strange words and phrases as in some recent posts. In fact, I never know what to expect from his narratives as in life.

1 comment:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

I agree with what you said about the generality of Anderson's works--while still being dissatisfied with MURDER IN BLACK LETTER simply as a mystery. But the connection I found in that book with one of his SF stories kept MURDER from being completely a bust for me.

Ad astra! Sean