Tuesday 10 September 2019

E Book

This time, blog readers can, if they want, read Poul Anderson's Murder In Black Letter here while I reread and post about it here. It is a different experience, reading on screen. This is the second of Anderson's three Trygve Yamamura detective novels, following Perish By The Sword. The interest in swords continues because the novel opens with Yamamura and his friend, Robert Kintyre, fencing and they mention Japanese Samurai swords which we know that Yamamura collects.

A policeman informs them that a young acquaintance of Kintyre has been murdered and the point of view stays with Kintyre, not with the detective. And that is as far as I have got.

To my surprise, when googling for relevant images, I found that Murder In Black Letter has been published with several variant covers. I remember the novel, from one previous reading, as a combination of interesting background information and, to me, uninteresting chase scenes. However, every other novel by Anderson reveals interesting content on further readings and I do not expect this one to be any exception.

1 comment:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

While I'm not opposed per se to well done fight and chase sequences, I do see what you mean. And I have to admit I did not find most of them as interesting to read about in Anderson's three mystery novels as I had done when seen in his SF and fantasies.

Moreover, I think I remember feeling a bit frustrated at seeing so little of Trygve Yamamura in MURDER IN BLACK LETTER. But I appreciated finding an unexpected connection linking MURDER with WE CLAIM THESE STARS. Which I discussed in one of my articles.

Ad astra! Sean