Wednesday 7 November 2018

Moon And Milky Way

Poul Anderson, Harvest Of Stars, 26-27.

The car crosses the Lunar landscape, then joins a road that is mostly just graded regolith except where it has been necessary to blast through uplands or to cross a crevasse or crater with a viaduct. Zamok Vyoski's tiered walls and steep roofs are like extensions of the mountain. The setting sun brightens their windows and metal cupolas. Rinndalir and Niolente welcome Kyra but now she must wait to learn whether they will help Fireball. Selenarch motives are unpredictable.

Meanwhile, Eiko goes into space to retrieve download Guthrie:

"Spaceward, stars beswarmed blackness and the Milky Way clove it with ice." (27, p. 256)

9 comments:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

The Lunarian castle of Zamok Vysoki reminded me of how the leaders of Serendipity, Inc. also had a castle in the mountains of the Moon in SATAN'S WORLD. And there's also the convent of St. Martha of Bethany in "Kyrie," also on the Moon.

Sean

paulshackley2017@gmail.com said...

Sean,
And "The Abbey," the HQ of the Order of Planetary Engineers in the Psychotechnic History. And a similar organization in "The Communicators."
Paul.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

Dang! I forgot about those organizations and how they had HQs/installations on the Moon as well. And now you made me wonder HOW "secular" the Order of Planetary Engineers was if it adopted so ecclesiastical forms.

Sean

paulshackley2017@gmail.com said...

Sean,
The "Order" definitely preserved or reflected some aspects of religious orders.
Paul.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

It does! And it's making me think I should reread THE SNOWS OF GANYMEDE again. Too many stories I should reread!

Sean

paulshackley2017@gmail.com said...

Sean,
Coincidentally, Isaac Asimov has a "Christmas on Ganymede."
Paul.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

Now I recall that story as well. But, if my recollection is correct, I thought it one of Asimov's weaker stories. Asimov's lack of sympathy for any religion made it regrettably difficult for him to take things like Christmas very seriously.

Sean

paulshackley2017@gmail.com said...

Sean,
He said later that it was an attempt at humor and that, while it is possible to be moderately well written, suspenseful etc, it is not possible to be moderately funny!
Paul.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

That would explain why I thought "Christmas on Ganymede" a weak story. Now that I think of it, I don't recall any truly FUNNY stories by him. Unlike Poul Anderson, who knew how to make humor work in his stories (such as "The Makeshift Rocket"). Or even "A Message in Secret," which I realized was quite humorous the last time I read it.

Sean