Friday 23 November 2018

Metacoercion

See:

Kinds Of Telepathy
A Conceptual Error
In My Mind

In Julian May's Diamond Mask:

"Fury said: <Give Jack the machine's comset.>
"Marc blinked, then uttered a weary expletive and handed over the command headset to the little boy." (2, p. 24)

"...her mental screen was understandably a bit woolly at first, easily penetrated by the subtle coercive-redactive ream that the Hydra knew how to use so well. The idea for taking a brief holiday that came stealing into her mind through the tiny aperture was both gratifying and pleasant, and Masha accepted it as her own without demur.
"Hydra withdrew from the professor's unconscious..." (3, p. 43)

We speculated about mental coercion. Julian May describes it in detail. Poul Anderson describes space combat as if he were a veteran. Julian May is equally convincing about metapsychic powers.

1 comment:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

Pending my rereading of the SAGA/INTERVENTION/MILIEU books, I think I have to agree with what you said about the metapsychic powers Julian May describes. But I do recall how I boggled somewhat at how she had non-human humanoids able to have children with humans in the SAGA OF PLIOCENE EXILE books. That I simply could not buy!

Sean