Thursday 15 November 2018

Resurrection

Poul Anderson, Harvest Of Stars, 62-63.

Anson Guthrie's medical record is in the database that came from Sol to Alpha Centauri;

instructions are encoded for nanotech;

molecular assemblers, drawing solutions and gels from tanks, build DNA and RNA and fashion, then guide, the zygote;

download Guthrie's neurons are scanned;

Demeter Mother transmits their information into a programmable network within the new organism;

thus, there is a new young man with Guthrie's memories;

next is Demeter Daughter;

they marry and have children.

1 comment:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

I admit I find this a serious strain on my ability as a reader to "suspend disbelief." I'm pretty sure this was one of the things I had difficult with when I first read HARVEST OF STARS more than 20 years ago. And this is meant as a COMMENDATION, not a criticism. Really GOOD science fictions should speculate boldly, intelligently, and in ways which engage the interest and attention of their readers.

Sean