Monday 16 April 2018

More On Humor

See blog search result for Humor. (Scroll down.)

In haste before breakfast before going out for the day:

We have previously established first that Poul Anderson wrote a small amount of humor and secondly that I am not a big fan of humorous sf. I mention this because, to my surprise, the Saint stories that I have started to read can be categorized as humorous. (The Saint TV series was not.) Descriptions and situations are exaggerated for comic effect. Nothing wrong with that. Just not what I had expected.

This might be as far as I go in comparing Poul Anderson and Leslie Charteris but it has been interesting, particularly the discovery that Simon Templar had used the alias, "Sebastian Tombs."

Back here tomorrow, probably.

3 comments:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

I'm a little bit sorry humorous science fiction is not quite to your taste. I still remember how much I had reading Anderson/Dickson's Hoka stories and A BICYCLE BUILT FOR BREW (by Anderson only). And not so long ago i noted with some surprise how much understated humor can be found in "A Message in Secret."

I've gotten definitely interested in searching out some of the "The Saint" stories by Leslie Charteris.

Sean

S.M. Stirling said...

The humor in THE HIGH CRUSADE is mostly situational, but none the less witty for that.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Dear Mr. Stirling,

I agree! And I just love THE HIGH CRUSADE! The humor in that story is often light hearted and droll. Poul Anderson knew how to combine in just the right ways both serious idea and humor.

And I note yet again how surprisingly humorous "A Message in Secret" was. Usually at moments when Dominic Flandry might have looked foolish.

Sean