Friday, 18 September 2026

Faun And Wyvern

There is nothing left to reread in The Queen Of Air And Darkness and other stories except "The Faun," a juvenile short story with just over five pages of text. Having just returned from the Duke's Playhouse, we will not reread this story tonight. However, we notice its reference to Epsilon Eridani. Also, it is another sf story that begins like a fantasy: first, the title; then the opening sentence -

"A wyvern flew up in a thunder of splendid wings."
-Poul Anderson, "The Faun" IN Anderson, The Queen Of Air And Darkness and other stories (New York, December 1973), pp. 86-91 AT p. 86.

Extraterrestrial birds and animals can be named after mythological beasts.

I want to check stories in a couple of other Anderson collections but a house guest is sleeping in the room with the books. Meanwhile, I also want to reread some more Stieg Larsson before turning in. This weekend, "Heritage" events continue in Lancaster: concerts in churches etc.

Onward, Earthlings.

See also:


blog search result for wyvern (scroll down)

7 comments:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

Occasionally Anderson thought it right to add some prefatory commentary to some of his stories (as he did for "Night Piece"). Does your copy of THE QUEEN OF AIR AND DARKNESS AND OTHER STORIES preface "Queen" with the comments he pub. with it for the April 1971 issue of F & SF?

Gregg Press pub. THE QUEEN OF AIR AND DARKNESS in 1978 collecting these stories:

"The Queen of Air and Darkness"
"Home"
"The Alien Enemy"
"The Faun"
"In the Shadow"
"Time Lag"

I'm sorry "Terminal Quest" was not included. Because "Queen," "Home," and "Terminal" examines from different angles the rightness or wrongness of humans settling on planets which had native intelligent races.

Ad astra! Sean

paulshackley2017@gmail.com said...

Sean,

My copy does not have those comments.

Paul.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

Which I regret, because those comments are interesting and illuminating.

I recently completed rereading TALES OF THE FLYING MOUNTAINS and one interesting point I belatedly realized was how Anderson included with "Sunjammer" a complete poem/song that could be titled "Song of the Transporteers." A rousing and amusing piece that might have become a filk song.

One Anderson rarity I have is a collection of his poems called STAVES. Alas, "Mary O''Meara," "The Battle of Brandobar," "The Queen of Air and Darkness," and the above mentioned transporteer ballad was not included in it. One volume of a COMPLETE COLLECTED WORKS OF POUL ANDERSON should contain his poems. Admittedly a rather short volume.

Ad astra! Sean

Jim Baerg said...

I think "In the Shadow" is the story in which astronomers detect a mass passing 'close' to the solar by it perturbing the motion of known planets, but do not see anything where it should be. The mass is large enough for a star. A crewed spaceship is sent to investigate what may be a black hole. Instead they find a star & planets made of stuff that doesn't interact with normal matter or photons but do interact via gravity and neutrinos. One of the planets turns out to have a technological civilization which is detected by neutrinos from their nuclear reactors.

This may be the first SF story to use the Dark Matter mystery as a major plot point.

Anonymous said...

Kaor, Jim!

I have to admit I don't understand "dark matter." I should probably reread "In the Shadow."

One of the earliest SF stories to use black holes was Anderson's "Kyrie." It was so early that "black hole" is not used at all in that story.

Ad astra! Sean

Jim Baerg said...

Nobody has a really convincing explanation for what dark matter is. All the astronomers know is that there is something that doesn't interact (directly) with light but does exert gravitational pull. Somethin with those minimal properties is needed to explain the observed motion of stars in galaxies and galaxies in clusters. There is also the gravitational bending of the path of light around galaxy clusters, that is too much to be explained by the observed stars, gas, and dust in the galaxies.

IIRC Anderson used the term 'shadow matter' for whatever made up the star and planets of that invisible system. Also I don't think the current evidence fits 'shadow matter' explaining the dark matter gravity.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Jim!

So Anderson's speculations about "shadow matter" in his story are still as good as anything else thought up by other writers/astronomers.

Ad astra! Sean