There is a lot more in this story than we had realized on a first reading.
The Procyonite, Felgi, quizzes Ramacan about some practical aspects of immortality:
"'Don't you have trouble keeping your memories straight?'" (p. 76)
This question is discussed at greater length in some later novels by Anderson. Ramacan and some later characters have their memories edited but it has been suggested in our combox that a brain might just forget chunks of its memories naturally.
"'How about the apparent acceleration of time with age?'" (ibid.)
We usually give our age in years and do not specify additional months, e.g., "I am 76," not "I am 76 and 9 months." Some Asimov characters living well into their second century say, e.g., "I am in my twelfth decade," and leave it at that. To someone who lives for millennia, even the passing centuries would come to seem unimportant. However, Ramacan's reply is unexpected and interesting:
"'That was bad after the first couple of centuries but then it seemed to flatten out, the nervous system adapted to it.'" (ibid.)
- which seems plausible. Nevertheless, the immortals procastinate and feel that:
"'...a day seems too short a time to get anything done.'" (ibid.)
Sf writers anticipate what life might be like in future.
4 comments:
Back then people imagined that all 'memories' were recorded indelibly. We now know that the mind doesn't record -- or forgets -- big chunks.
Kaor, Paul and Mr. Stirling!
Paul: If most humans ever get to feel reasonably sure of having long life spans I can see procrastination becoming a problem. Because it may encourage people to be lazy and inefficient.
Mr. Stirling: I agree, I know I have forgotten much even if I still remember at least as much.
Ad astra! Sean
Tolkien's elves comment on how mere years seem a short time.
Then there is this:
The Elflord and the Mayfly
https://existentialcomics.com/comic/353
Kaor, Anonymous!
I remember texts like that from Tolkien's works. I recall as well a passage in THE SILMARILLION saying that after 10,000 centuries some elves become so weary of life that they willingly "die" and their spirits passes to the Halls of Mandos.
Ad astra! Sean
Post a Comment