In Poul Anderson's works:
"'Father, I thank Thee,' he said."
-Poul Anderson, Tau Zero (New York, 1970), CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE, p. 197.
"'Father,' Coffin murmured, 'I thank Thee.'"
-Orbit Unlimited, part four, p. 134.
And in the Fourth Gospel:
"Father, I thank Thee that Thou hast heard Me." (Jn. 11:41)
We have quoted The Same Prayer In Two Timelines before but this is the first time that it has occurred to us to check whether that straightforward-sounding expression of thanks was Biblical in origin.
We have previously checked on Coffin's equally straightforward-sounding phrase, "'Strengthen me, God...'" (see here)
A full list of Biblical allusions is impossible because they are embedded in our language.
(Less posts today because of physical exercise and also other rereading: A Fatal Inversion by Barbara Vine, highly recommended and a good contrast with sf, like Stieg Larsson's Millennium Trilogy.
(I need toast and hot chocolate.)
1 comment:
Kaor, Paul!
There are so many direct quotes, clear allusions, and possible allusions to the Scriptures in Anderson's works that it would need the passionate zeal of a "Dictionary" Murray to track them all down.
Ad astra! Sean
Post a Comment