Despite its being a pulp magazine short story, Anderson's "The Star Beast" is proving to be more complicated a text than I want to continue rereading this late into the evening. An extended passage without dialogue recounts the experience of a man who has become a forest-dwelling tiger through a summer and into a winter. Then the matter of an attempted military conquest of Earth has to be addressed. And finally the story will culminate not in a conventional victory but in an unresolved dilemma... This is not just "pulp" fiction and will be returned to with refreshed attention at a later date.
Regular blog readers know by now what else I read in the evenings that I do not have to blog about and, of course, it is also advisable to catch up with the madness of Earth Real on the TV news.
Every fictional future had a turbulent twenty-first century in its past and we will have a future, hopefully.
No comments:
Post a Comment