Saturday, 5 September 2026

More About Other Reading

I do not think that it is irrelevant to mention other reading now and again. Presumably we all read something other than Poul Anderson - and not just other sf? In fact, no two people will have read exactly the same collection of titles and everything that we read finds its place in the context of everything else that we have read. Thus, anything either historical or scientific can shed light on Andersonian themes and settings.

Having just reread Barbara Vine's A Fatal Inversion with enjoyment, I might well launch back into Stieg Larsson's Millennium Trilogy (my equivalent of The Lord Of The Rings). How good it can be sometimes to get away from aliens and spaceships for a while although always remembering that the stellar universe still surrounds us whether or not contemporary novelists mention it much. When there are permanent Lunar bases, then contemporary novelists will refer to them. In fact, modern knowledge of exo-planets is not science fictional but factual and therefore is also able to provide subject-matter to be mentioned or discussed in contemporary fiction.

My next task blog-wise is to reread more of Anderson's Rustum History but first comes satisfying the inner man, by meditating and eating.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Kaor, Paul!

I recently reread ORBIT UNLIMITED and NEW AMERICA. And I've started rereading TALES OF THE FLYING MOUNTAINS.

The "other reading" I would like to do is reread Stirling's BLACK CHAMBER and the fourth volume of Solzhenitsyn's MARCH 1917.

I'm sorry, but most mainstream literature bores me. I would like to soon reread THE LORD OF THE RINGS.

Ad astra! Sean