Saturday, 26 September 2026

Chapter Titles

A convention of pulp magazine publishing seems to have been that even a narrative much shorter than a novel (my rule of thumb: 100+ pages) could be divided into chapters with dramatically worded titles which can be omitted when the works are republished in collections or anthologies. Poul Anderson's collection, Alight In The Void, preserves the following examples.

"The Star Beast"
Chapter I Therapy for Paradise
Chapter II "Tiger, Tiger!"
Chapter III Dark Victory

"Son of the Sword"
Chapters I-III (unentitled)

"Flight to Forever"
Chapter I No Return
Chapter II Belgotai of Syrtis
Chapter III Trapped In The Time-Stream
Chapter IV End of Empire
Chapter V Attack of the Anvardi
Chapter VI Flight Without End

"Flight to Forever" is about futureward time travel through many periods including that of a Galactic Empire as its chapter titles partly indicate. In fact, should we reread this work shortly, remembering that it is a precursor of Anderson's Time Patrol series?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kaor, Paul!

I agree it makes sense to define novels as stories being 100 pages and more in length. Stories shorter than that could be divided into "sections" instead of chapters.

Ad astra! Sean

S.M. Stirling said...

I'd say word-length would be the distinguishing characteristic of a novel -- say, 40-50,000 words. Many of Poul's early novels were around 60,000 words, which was typical for SF of the day.

paulshackley2017@gmail.com said...

I agree that word number is the criterion but I can't count words!, hence my 100+ page rule of thumb.

Anonymous said...

Kaor, to Both!

I'm inclined to favor word count as a more precise means of defining a novel or short story. Count the words on one page and multiply by the number of full pages (count the number of half pages to get more full pages).

Ad astra! Sean