Friday 5 April 2019

More On "The Moonrakers"

In Poul Anderson's The Star Fox, a "Moonraker" is a kind of "flyer." (See More From The Star Fox.) I wondered whether I had been mistaken to assume that this "flyer" was a kind of "aircar," able equally to travel by road or by air. We get used to reading about certain kinds of futuristic devices and might start to expect them even when they are not present. However, on the following page, when Heim has transferred to another vehicle, we are told that:

"The car entered Paris by ground." (p. 31)

I take this to mean that this vehicle at least might instead have flown.

Now to return to the story called "The Moonrakers." I first posted about this story in The Moonrakers (11 Sept 2013), where Sean informed me of its prequel. For discussion of both works together, see "The Innocent Arrival And The Moonrakers," here, Swindles and "The Incorporated State And The United Protectorates," here. The two works together comprise one of several very short series by Anderson.

I expect to find more details to post about when rereading "The Moonrakers."

1 comment:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

I looked up these links, after you mentioned me. Yes, "The Innocent Arrival" and "The Moonrakers" should have a story between them giving us the details of the "Great Swindle" enabling Mars to obtain the capital for terraforming.

Hmmm, for a time the asteroid belt became was where a quasi barbaric culture took root? Might that have happened as well to the asteroid belt of the FLYING MOUNTAINS stories? I have my doubts because any society located there would have needed a good deal of practical knowledge of high science and technology to survive.

But I would need to reread "The Moonrakers"! Church's comment about how, to survive, the smarter asteroid Chiefs would need to adapt and reorganize gives us a hint the barbarism was not TOO deeply rooted.

Sean