Friday 5 April 2019

One Frozen Waterfall

("Moon" titles by Heinlein and Anderson.)

Poul Anderson, "The Moonrakers" IN Anderson, Beyond The Beyond (London, 1969), pp. 133-166.

The current blog theme remains space travel in Poul Anderson's works.

Through his space helmet, a man sees:

"Twelve thousand visible stars, undimmed and unwinking, powdered the black with glory. The Milky Way girdled creation, a frozen waterfall." (p. 134)

We know of a novel entitled Moonraker by Ian Fleming. I had heard a story of the origin of the phrase "the moonrakers" and discovered a fuller account here.

The current blog agenda is to reread Anderson's "The Moonrakers."

3 comments:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

Hmmm, stories by Robert Heinlein incorporating "Moon"? First, of course, comes THE MAN WHO SOLD THE MOON, and next THE MOON IS A HARSH MISTRESS. The latter being almost the only one of RAH's later works that I believe deserving of being read.

Poul Anderson wrote some short stories with "Moon" in the titles, but I can't recall any novels whose titles use that word.

Sean

paulshackley2017@gmail.com said...

Sean,
Also, Heinlein, DESTINATION MOON.
Paul.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

Darn and Drat! I missed that one. I should have checked thru my Heinlein books to see if I had that title as well.

Sean