Thursday 21 February 2019

Theater Of Spies: ARC

In July 2018, I received a review copy of Black Chamber by SM Stirling. Today, I received an ARC (Advance Reading Copy) of the sequel, Theater Of Spies. The cover is as shown except that the words:

              ADVANCE
        READING COPY
             MAY 2019

- are enclosed within a circle on the right between NG and ER.

The back cover has blurb, excerpts from favorable Wall Street Journal and "The Maine Edge" reviews of Black Chamber, two web addresses (smstirling.com and penguinrandomhouse.com) and publishing information which includes:

                                     UNCORRECTED PROOFS
                                              NOT FOR SALE

                                     Publication Date: May 7, 2019
                                                     Pages: 464

If any material is to be quoted, it must be checked against the finished book.

I will not quote any material.

Earlier posts either about or referring to Black Chamber were:

The Advent Of Black Chamber
Roosevelt And The Timelines
Future Historical References
Alternative Historical References
Black Chamber
Real And Fictional Politics
Common Ancestry
Betrayal
Coincidences
Alternative Lives
Actual To Alternative
People In Different Timelines
Grapple Guns
Across The Atlantic
What Next For The Black Chamber?
Three Fictional Secret Agents

SM Stirling commented on some of these posts. I may refer to Theater Of Spies again but will avoid discussing its contents until after the publication date.

The publisher, Donald A. Wollheim, once said to me, with reference to a new novel by British sf author, Bob Shaw, "My advice is: buy the book. The publishers need the money...," then, seeing Bob Shaw nearby, added, "...and the author does too."

With reference to Theater Of Spies, my advice is: buy the book. It is Volume II of a Trilogy and Volume I was good.

3 comments:

S.M. Stirling said...

Ah, glad you got the ARC! I tried to ensure you got to the top of the list this time.

S.M. Stirling said...

It's up to you, but comments that don't actually reveal plot points would be fine with me -- they help build "buzz" for a book. Still, that's your judgment call.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

I'm wildly envious that you got even an uncorrected "Advance Reading Copy" of Stirling's THEATER OF SPIES! That is definitely a book I plan to buy when it comes out!

As Mr. Stirling said, comments which doesn't reveal plot points are fine with me as well.

I'm afraid I was some what critical of THE SKY BLUE-WOLVES in comments I deposited at smstirling.com. I hope I did not offend him!

And I plan to reread some of the blogpieces and comments about BLACK CHAMBER.

Sean