Monday 24 July 2023

"I Am The King."

The Dog And The Wolf, III, 1.

Gratillonius:

"'They who remain of Ys are my subjects... I am the King. I broke the Scoti, I broke the Franks, and I slew every challenger who sought me in the Wood. If the Gods of Ys have forsaken my people, I have not.'" (p. 66)

Right on. I m not a royalist but Gratillonius is correct in his place and time. He leads. He maintains his course without the Gods as at the end of the Ring Cycle, as I understand it. Dominic Flandry continues to struggle despite the imminent Fall of the Terran Empire. Manse Everard guards human history through every conflict towards eventual transcendence. Gratillonius is a forerunner of Flandry and Everard across the twisting timelines.

1 comment:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul and Mr. Stirling!

I agree, Gratillonius was a man devoted to his duty.

Ad astra! Sean