Friday 28 July 2023

Evirion And Rufinus On Religion

 

The Dog And The Wolf, VIII, 2.

Evirion:

"'Christ must be real, and strong. Look how He's winning everywhere. For me it's like - like being a barbarian warrior whose chief betrayed him. Another, more powerful chief offers me a berth. Very well, I'll take it with thanks, and be loyal.'" (p. 155)

This is the paradox of a pagan reason for conversion to Christianity. From a pagan perspective, Odin and Thor are powerful in Northern Europe, Christ is powerful in the Roman Empire, Someone else somewhere else etc. But Christ's territory is expanding so His power is increasing. Subsequent generations, brought up as Christians, will no longer see it that way. My sympathy is with Rufinus who would convert if it was expedient:

"'What difference? We may as well bow to one nothing as to another.'" (p. 154)

But, in my case and I think also in his, only if it was very expedient. I will never be invited to join the Freemasons but, if I were, then I would have to refuse because I cannot in honesty acknowledge a Supreme Architect of the Universe. I suppose that some Masons would say that this does not matter but, to me, it would. 

Rufinus does not recognise the possibility of spiritual practice beyond theism because those traditions have not entered Europe yet.

7 comments:

S.M. Stirling said...

Nations -- and tribes and clans -- are a collection of myths and rituals. To be a member, you have to acknowledge the myths and perform the rituals. This gives you the support and backing of the others who do; if not, not.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

I disagree with how Rufinus thought. He should convert to Christianity, but only if he could believe in Christ.

Ad astra! Sean

paulshackley2017@gmail.com said...

Sean,

Exactly. It is wrong to convert outwardly without inner belief.

Paul.

S.M. Stirling said...

Sean: but if someone converts -outwardly-, they often become sincere later; humans work that way. Practicing something without genuine belief is a strain, so the belief adjusts itself.

And in any case, their children -- raised in a particular belief -- will probably be sincere.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Mr. Stirling!

I first came across that intriguing phenomenon in, I think, your THE SUNRISE LANDS, as Rudi and Mathilda were beginning their Quest. I can see how pretending to be believe in one thing while also disbelieving it can be hard work, a mental strain. Easier to actually either believe it or drop the pretense.

Ad astra! Sean

S.M. Stirling said...

Sean: and if it's too dangerous to drop the pretense, over time the other alternative becomes more and more likely.

This is something that I understand only intellectually, btw. Pretense, when necessary, doesn't bother -me- at all.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Mr. Stirling!

Your first sentence/paragraph, I agree. I would add that I think it's very dangerous in countries dominated by Islam to be openly skeptical or disbelieving.

Second paragraph, I would far rather you eventually felt able to believe! But that, I know, is up to you and God.

Ad astra! Sean