Sunday 23 October 2022

Today And Van Rijn

Just back from a day trip to the Lake District, which will be repeated on Wednesday. No time this evening for analysis of the text of The Night Face. 

Nicholas van Rijn:

stars in the three short stories collected as Trader To The Stars;

cameos in the last of the three David Falkayn short stories collected as The Trouble Twisters;

co-stars with Falkayn in two novels, Satan's World and Mirkheim;

stars in two short stories and one novel collected in The Earth Book Of Stormgate;

co-stars with Falkayn in one short story in the Earth Book;

appears in one Old Phoenix short story.

A total of eleven appearances. The first ten go somewhere and are fully integrated into the Technic History (total: forty three instalments), a long series embedded in a longer one.

One of my abiding themes is the superiority (I think) of Poul Anderson's Technic History to any other sf future history series, including Heinlein's original Future History.

7 comments:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

I wonder how WE would if we were to meet, for real, someone as shrewd, boisterous and exuberant as Old Nick? I suspect you would do better than I would have!

Ad astra! Sean

paulshackley2017@gmail.com said...

Sean,

I might like to work for him as a researcher but I would not cope with trading or merchanting.

Paul.

paulshackley2017@gmail.com said...

As I have said before, I would like to discuss philosophy and theology with van Rijn over dinner either in the Winged Cross or in the Hotel Universe.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

I can see that! Nor do I think I would be much good at trading or "trouble twisting." I recall mention of those books Old Nick likes to read.

The Winged Cross? You mean that palatial penthouse belonging to van Rijn in "The Master Key"?

Now the UK has a THIRD PM in barely seven weeks! I've only vaguely heard of Sishi Runak.

Btw, are new coins and banknotes with Charles III's portrait are already coming out?

Ad astra! Sean

paulshackley2017@gmail.com said...

Sean,

I have not seen any new coins or notes yet. I understand that stamps will change in the New Year.

Yes, the view from the Winged Cross would enhance the occasion.

The Tories seem to be uniting after a lot of chaos.

Paul.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

Understood, re new coins/banknotes, etc. Of course it would take time for the Royal Mint/Bank of England to make the needed preparations.

I'm aware of the factional divisions among the Tories. If I was British I would support the Conservatives and sympathize with those protesting against too many compromises of principles.

Yes, the Winged Cross was striking!

Ad astra! Sean

S.M. Stirling said...

Ah, that's a lovely part of England. Only been there once, many years ago, but I wouldn't mind going again.