Saturday 8 October 2022

Diana's Duty?

The Game Of Empire, CHAPTER SEVENTEEN.

Kukulkan Zachary to Diana Crowfeather:

"'Humankind needs your genes. They are valuable. It is your duty to pass them on.'" (p. 385)

With relief, perhaps, we turn the page and begin to read CHAPTER NINETEEN about:

"Admiral and self-proclaimed Emperor Sir Olaf Magnusson..." (p. 386)

- and:

"...Fleet Admiral Sir Dominic Flandry." (ibid.)

In response to Kukulkan: No, humankind does not need any particular genes. No, it is not Diana's duty to pass hers on. She is free to remain celibate or to practise contraception. Individual freedom is paramount and transcends any alleged obligation to procreate.

I have sometimes wondered about the implications of Zen. If everyone became a celibate monk... But they won't. If everyone stopped being reborn... No rebirth would mean no new births. But that is if you believe in rebirth which I don't. I practise meditation but do not accept all the associated beliefs. In any case, the teaching refers to an endless cosmic cycle of deaths and rebirths. Bodhisattvas aim at the Buddhahood of every blade of grass but when is that going to happen? To me, it is a mythological statement. If, after a global disaster, there were a very small world population every single one of whom preferred to remain celibate... That would be a momentous decision but it would be down to them, no one else.

6 comments:

Jim Baerg said...

Re: Rebirth.
I recall a short SF story writen before birth rates started to decline roughly 1970, in which there was something of an epidemic of births of babies that seemed physically fine, but which didn't respond. There seemed to be no mind there.
At the end of the story, some characters conclude that rebirth is real & the population had exceeded the finite number of available souls.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul and Jim!

Paul: I agree it has to be Diana's choice whether or not to have children. But I do not agree artificial contraceptives are right. And I am absolutely opposed to all direct abortions.

Jim: I think I too read the story you mentioned, but not sure who wrote it. John Brunner, maybe.

Ad astra! Sean

Sean M. Brooks said...

I checked and I'm now sure the story Jim and I had in mind was indeed "The Vitanuls, by John Brunner.

Ad astra! Sean

S.M. Stirling said...

I think we tend to an exaggerated individualism which often leads to narcissism.

Or to put the critique another way, "It's not about you."

Human beings do not exist by themselves; their essence is obligation to others.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Mr. Stirling!

IOW, the Golden Rule.

Ad astra! Sean

paulshackley2017@gmail.com said...

I fully agree but I do not think that anyone is obliged to procreate.