Monday 27 June 2022

Wanda In Wind And Winter

The Shield Of Time.

Manse Everard asks Wanda Tamberly what is haunting her. When she responds that he observes more than he pretends:

"The wind nearly stole her words from him, as low as they were. It shrilled and boomed above rumbling surf, sheathed faces in cold, laid salt on lips, ruffled hair." (p. 431)

This time, the wind's role is to emphasize that Tamberly is indeed subdued. She speaks so low as to be scarcely audible. However, when she at last articulates her feelings and then breaks off:

"Her voice had been rising into the wind." (p. 433)

The Danellian appears and reassures both. As he does:

"The wind cried, the sea growled nearer." (p. 434)

Wind and sea represent chaos which approaches and threatens even while the Danellian affirms that the Patrol has overcome it. By the end of this chapter and thus also of the novel, Tamberly's disquiet is healed. Despite all the shrilling, booming and rumbling of winter:

"'...this is a lovely coast, Manse. Let me show you.'" (p. 436)

9 comments:

S.M. Stirling said...

The beauty of winter is something I prefer to observe from a distance, or for very short periods.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Mr. Stirling!

And you reminded me of that bit in Chapter IX of A KNIGHT OF GHOSTS AND SHADOWS, while visiting the planet Talwin during its winter, Flandry made it plain he was glad not to be outside in its frigid weather. Flandry would agree with you!

Ad astra! Sean

Jim Baerg said...

I enjoy X-C skiing for several hours, but knowing I can get inside a nice warm building when I get tired *is* essential for that to be enjoyable.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Jim!

That's if you think of being out doors in winter for RECREATIONAL purposes. If you had to go out day after day, no matter how frigid it was, for making a living, then I think you might take a dourer view of winter!

Ad astra! Sean

Jim Baerg said...

I will also note that when the outside temperature was about -25 C last winter I preferred walking outside for 10 to 20 minutes than driving somewhere, because the time for the car to warm up was rather miserable, but walking generated enough heat for me to be comfortable. I did need to wear a few layers of clothing for proper insulation.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Jim!

But, I was talking about how people who lived year in and year out in frigid regions probably regarded winter as something more to endure, not enjoyed.

Ad astra! Sean

Jim Baerg said...

Yes & a nice warm well insulated building to retreat to makes it possible to enjoy being out in the cold for a while.
Almost anything will cease to be enjoyable if you don't have the option of getting away from it, but will be fine it you do.

S.M. Stirling said...

Jim: that's what I told myself when I spent a summer picking tobacco.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Mr. Stirling!

In your case a nice cool air conditioned house! (Smiles)

Ad astra! Sean