Wednesday 22 June 2022

Screen And Graphic Adaptations

(Propaganda mode again.)

Dune has had three screen adaptations. In the public library, I found Volume I of a three-volume hardcover graphic adaptation of the first Dune novel, scripted by Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson who have written seventeen (?) Dune novels. Star Trek is multi-media with maybe twelve TV series, whether live action or animated. Foundation has acquired many additional volumes and a screen adaptation. Surely Poul Anderson's History of Technic Civilization is even worthier of extended screen dramatization? I am less keen on the idea of new novels or short stories by other authors but maybe someone would be able to write something worth reading? But, in any case, screen and graphic adaptations should happen.

2 comments:

S.M. Stirling said...

I completely agree, but my lust to see it adapted is tempered by my pessimism about the quality.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Mr. Stirling and Paul!

I too absolutely agree with both of you. I get so frustrated at why cinema and TV won't even look at the stories of Poul Anderson for inspiration. The Nicholas van Rijn and Dominic Flandry tales are so much BETTER than Asimov's overrated and over hyped FOUNDATION series. I truly don't understand why that is the case!

It may need a billionaire who actually reads SF, like Elon Musk, to personally having such films made, using his own money.

See as well my own "Textual Crawl For Flandry Movies," discussing this.

Ad astra! Sean