Thursday 11 March 2021

Three Heroines

I am rereading:

Ian Fleming's The Spy Who Loved Me, narrated by Vivienne Michel;

Stieg Larsson's The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, with many passages narrated from the point of view of Lisbeth Salander;

Poul Anderson's A Circus Of Hells, CHAPTER FOURTEEN, narrated from Djana's pov.

Three women survivors and temporary companions of James Bond, Mikael Blomkvist and Dominic Flandry, respectively. Three fictional characters although only one meets Merseians! That is another level of fiction. But we can focus instead on what they have in common. Djana is as convincing a character as the others despite her exotic setting.

3 comments:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

Unfortunately, and altho it was many years ago, Fleming's THE SPY WHO LOVED ME disappointed me. There was hardly anything about actual spy work in the story, seeming to be mostly about Bond having a fling with Vivienne and killing some American gangsters. I thought it the weakest of the Bond stories. But I'm open to thinking a second reading might make me change my mind if I get another copy.

I agree with what you said about Djana and Chapter XIV of A CIRCUS OF HELLS. And take note of Ydwyr as well.

A CIRCUS OF HELLS is one of my favorites of the Flandry stories.

Ad astra! Sean

paulshackley2017@gmail.com said...

Sean,

But it was meant to be like that. Fleming tried to branch out.

Paul.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

And I respect that, writers trying to branch out, to do something different from what they had previously written. A famous example being how A. Conan Doyle wanted to do other kinds of stories than the ones about Sherlock Holmes. However, if I can still go by my recollections, I think Fleming failed in THE SPY WHO LOVED ME.

Ad astra! Sean