Monday 22 March 2021

Comparative Future Historical Studies

I have just received a copy of The Chanur Saga by CJ Cherryh, a 694-page omnibus edition of three Chanur novels. Some of you might remember that I have been invited/challenged/whatever to read The Pride Of Chanur in its entirety, then to post first impressions, then later to post more considered impressions. We will see how that goes. The Pride Of Chanur is 228 pages in length. Either it is going to grab me, as promised, or it is not.

We have enjoyed comparing and paralleling Poul Anderson's future histories with those of several other sf writers so will we be able to add Cherryh to that list? I will be reading the first Chanur novel in the next few days but will not post about it until finished. If it really grabs me, then it might take time away from blogging...

3 comments:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

I hope you have fun reading Cherryh's CHANUR books, and that she affects you better than did my previous attempts at reading her.

And my copy of EXTRATERRESTRIALS IN THE CATHOLIC IMAGINATION arrived yesterday. But I don't want to read it till I finish MOONRAKER. And to help resist temptation, I won't even take the book out of the packaging until I finish Fleming's book.

Btw, I found that reference to Peter Lorre you asked me about. It's in Chapter 11: "Both men wore spotless white coveralls with plastic zip fasteners at the sleeves and ankles and down the back. Their hair was close-cropped so that the skin shone through and they would have looked like people from another planet but for the unruly black moustache and imperial of Dr. Walter and the pale wispy moustache of Krebs. They were both caricatures - a mad scientist and a youthful version of Peter Lorre."

Ad astra! Sean

paulshackley2017@gmail.com said...

Sean,

Look for a major plot inconsistency near the end of MOONRAKER.

Thank you for the Peter Lorre reference. I was looking for it in the wrong book. By the time Fleming wrote MOONRAKER, Lorre had played Le Chiffre on American TV.

Paul.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

A major plot inconsistency in possibly the last three Chapters of MOONRAKER? Noted!

One thing I recall after looking up Peter Lorre was him getting "typed" as the villain in many of his films.

Ad astra! Sean