Saturday 21 November 2020

Singing Astronaut And Cosmonaut

Orion Shall Rise, CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE.

Here is another accidental association between Poul Anderson's Orion Shall Rise and a film. In front of the two Orion Two guards before the hijack, Iern and Ronica exchange secret messages by singing in Francey. I have tried to rearrange their sentences into verse:

Ronica:
"'The alarm will be startling.
"If we're ready, close to them,
"I think we can overcome.
"Try for a grip from behind
"And get their pistols."
 
Iern:
"You take the younger man,
"I the older.
"Be sure that neither
"Can reach a rifle." (4, p. 412)
 
Before his contribution to this bizarre performance, Iern says:
 
"'You know I can't carry a tune in a wheelbarrow... But if you'll endure my croaking -...'" (ibid.)
 
When he has finished:
 
"Alfric winced. 'You're right, sir,' he agreed. 'You can't.'" (ibid.)
 
This reminds us, well me, of the comedy and tragedy of the opening scene of Superman IV -
 
Cosmonaut, EVA: (sings "My Way" in Russian).
 
Cosmonaut in capsule, by radio, with subtitles: Why don't you do your singing on Earth, Comrade Sinatra? 
 
Cosmonaut, EVA: But on Earth they tell me to do it in space!
 
The singing cosmonaut's line snaps. He spins away into space. International cooperation: Superman flies to the rescue.
 
I thought that that scene was comic, then tragic, then heart-warming - and Poul Anderson's dialogue brought it back.

1 comment:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

And it was your comment about "chroniclers" in "A Cat And A Rocket" reminded me of the chronicles written by Saints Gregory and Bede! In fact I thought so well of St. Gregory's HISTORY OF THE FRANKS that I gave Poul Anderson a copy of Lewis Thorpe's translation of that work for his birthday in 1991 or 1992.

Ad astra! Sean