Thursday 19 November 2020

Where To Begin Reading A Future History Series

This post refers to four future history series, two by Poul Anderson. All such series remain endlessly fascinating.

I have read, so far, the first three of the five Books in CJ Cherryh's Downbelow Station. Although individuals and a population are threatened with invasion or destruction, I have yet to empathize or to get involved. Maybe I started reading in the wrong place?

According to the author, the novels in this universe, except Heavy Time and Hellburner (which were subsequently re-published in one volume as Devil to the Belt), can be read in any order.[2] Those two books are chronologically the earliest in the series. 
-copied from here.

(I find this list confusing.)

My impression, correct me if I am wrong, is that Cherryh's long future history series comprises only novels and that all of these works were originally published as books, not serialized in magazines?

Robert Heinlein's Future History and Poul Anderson's Psychotechnic and Technic Histories went through perhaps three stages:

magazine short stories and serials;
short story collections and novels published as single volumes;
omnibus collections that can include novels.

The next post will look at where to begin reading them.

1 comment:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

Your second paragraph about how Cherryh's stories failed to get you to "empathize" with them paralleled what happened to me when I tried to read some of her stories many years ago: they failed to "grab" me, to get me to care about the characters. But I'm sure she appealed to other readers.

Ad astra! Sean