Tuesday 10 November 2020

Parallel Narratives

Some works of fantasy and sf present parallel universes but we can make any fictional narratives parallel in our own heads simply by (re)reading them concurrently. At present, I am:

finding a wealth of details in Poul Anderson's Orion Shall Rise;

learning from CJ Cherryh's Downbelow Station that overcrowded space stations will be squalid;

accepting that Jamie Delano's John Constantine lives in England as I do but sees the demons beneath the surface - whereas Anderson's Steve and Ginny Matuchek visit the England of a universe where demons are often above the surface;

giving some attention to TV News -

- so my attention is divided between universes.

1 comment:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

I've done a bit of that myself, vicariously imagining what it would be like to live in Anderson's Technic timeline or Tolkien's Middle Earth legendarium. They have both often seemed very REAL to me.

Ad astra! Sean