Saturday 14 November 2020

Troubled Times Now And Then

If we read about troubled times while living in troubled times, then text and life resonate. Once, when I was reading on a train, the train stopped so I thought, "Counter-revolutionaries have blocked the line!," projecting whatever I was reading. The exotic future of Poul Anderson's Orion Shall Rise shares crucial issues with our turbulent present:

ecological concerns;
the viability of a space program;
opposition to nuclear power;
national rivalries;
threats of war;
a missionary ideology -

- a longer list than I had expected.
 
In CHAPTER TWENTY, various forces gather:

in the unnumbered opening section, the Skyholm usurper confers with his Gaean guru and a political supporter;

in section 2, the fugitive Terai enters a village, commandeers the radio and calls for help;
 
in 3, Domain leaders conspire against the usurper;
 
in 4, we are back with our Mong viewpoint character, Vanna Uangovna, and your friendly neighborhood blogger must read on to find out what happens next.

1 comment:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

It's fine replace fossil fuels, but the alternatives need to be realistic, practical, doable. And that means nuclear energy and a spaced based solar energy system. Nothing else will do to meet the needs of a high tech society.

And that makes me ESP. glad Elon Musk seems to be proving a REAL space program is doable! I am trying to do my tiny bit by investing in Tesla.

There are so many threats of war that I think many people tend to become jaded!

The missionary ideology I've thought is fanatic, jihadist extremist Muslims. Some of the Greenie fanatics might also fit that description.

Ad astra! Sean